Hurricanes...an inevitable part of living on the North Gulf Coast. And right now, Hurricane Gustav is set to pummel us with a direct hit. My city, Lafayette, LA is situated about 40 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, but if you look at a map of the United States, it would look like we are pretty much on the coast. But 40 miles gives us a little bit of a land "buffer" from the catastrophic category 4-5 beating they are predicting. Once Gustav makes landfall, it will slow down. And, hopefully, by the time it reaches Lafayette, it will be a Category 3 or below.
More than the wind speeds, we worry about the tidal surges that bring in the floods. Trevor and I can stomach fallen trees, reshingling roofs, replacing windows, and fixing siding, but we cannot imagine the total devastation of floods. At this point, I'll stop talking about it, because I don't want to think about it.
Aisling and I will be riding out the storm in northern Lafayette at the home of good friends, Greg and Heidi Awbrey and family. They have supplies, a generator, and they have been through hurricanes in the past. I feel good about our decision to stay in Lafayette. Of course, I still worry, but I also know we will be okay, no matter what happens.
I'm sorry that we are making you all worry, though. Especially my mom and dad. Please know that we did not make the decision to stay lightly. After much prayer from both Trevor in Brazil, and me here, we felt we should stay.
We love you all, and hope to be able to communicate with you soon after the storm. We expect the power to be out for about a week. Please do not try to call my cell phone; the lines should all be jammed for a while after the storm. Afterwards, I will call my parents, and hopefully they can get the word out to all of you.
Our prayers are with you, as we hope yours are with us.
More than the wind speeds, we worry about the tidal surges that bring in the floods. Trevor and I can stomach fallen trees, reshingling roofs, replacing windows, and fixing siding, but we cannot imagine the total devastation of floods. At this point, I'll stop talking about it, because I don't want to think about it.
Aisling and I will be riding out the storm in northern Lafayette at the home of good friends, Greg and Heidi Awbrey and family. They have supplies, a generator, and they have been through hurricanes in the past. I feel good about our decision to stay in Lafayette. Of course, I still worry, but I also know we will be okay, no matter what happens.
I'm sorry that we are making you all worry, though. Especially my mom and dad. Please know that we did not make the decision to stay lightly. After much prayer from both Trevor in Brazil, and me here, we felt we should stay.
We love you all, and hope to be able to communicate with you soon after the storm. We expect the power to be out for about a week. Please do not try to call my cell phone; the lines should all be jammed for a while after the storm. Afterwards, I will call my parents, and hopefully they can get the word out to all of you.
Our prayers are with you, as we hope yours are with us.
Comments