Skip to main content

Southern Summer Saturday

Which activity would you choose to do on a bright, sunny, 95 degree (with 90% humidity) Saturday in Southern Louisiana?

A. Drive two hours north to Alexandria and take a 4-hour IRS exam.

B. Drive two hours north to Alexandria and visit one of my favorite zoos.

Reluctantly, I chose option A while Trevor, Aisling, and Alex (we have my nephew for the summer!) happily selected option B.

***NEWS FLASH*** I CAN NOW RECLAIM MY LIFE! I passed all three tax exams (May 7th, May 30th, and June 13th) and I'm mailing my Enrolled Agent application today. Oh, happy day! My part is done, and now I'm just waiting on the IRS (and we all know how efficient and quickly they handle things, right?...uh...right.) They'll do a background check, check all of my personal tax returns and payments, past tax work, etc. and get back to me within 60-300 days(?!?!?!) The speed of the government always amazes me.
But, back to my happy place...my part is done! Yippee!!!!! Thank you, and good night!***


In addition to all of the regular animals you see at the zoo, the Alexandria Zoo has a great Louisiana exhibit. Plenty of Alligators, crocodiles, alligator gars, humongous turtles (their exact names and species elude me), as well as pelicans, egrets, and other indigenous birds flying in and out as they please. The neat part? You can get really close to them, and most are not behind glass. For example, my family arrived right at midday feeding time. Did you know big alligators prefer steak to fish?

(See how close you can get? Telling your kids to keep their hands to themselves takes on new meaning, eh?)

With the smaller gators, the zoo keeper just goes into the enclosure. I mean, who's afraid of 10+ smallish (2-3 feet) feeding-frenzied killers, right?

YIKES!Aisling and Alex decided to follow this gator's lead, and rest for a bit. It's hot out here!

Quiz: What do you do during the excessive heat of Louisiana midday?

Bengal Tiger: Sit in the pool and try not to move too much.

4-legged deer-like animal: Sit in the pool and try not to move too much.

Black Bear: Avoid the sun, spread-eagle to catch any breeze that might miraculously go by (maximum surface area is the key!) and try not to move too much.

Giant alligator turtle: Submerge into a shady corner and try not to move too much.

Hmm...there seems to be a common theme to all of their heat survival tactics.

What kid doesn't like to feed the koi while waiting for their train ride? Wow!

Come for a visit, and I'll definitely take you to the Alexandria Zoo, and you can experience all of the up-close encounters for yourself!

Comments

LaChelle said…
Congratulations on finishing the tax exams! That's a huge hurdle to jump.

By the way, did you get my message on facebook? I'm putting something together for Darren for Fathers Day, and I need your help! :)
Sarah said…
Wow, that's so great! What's next? Law school? MBA? :> And holy cow Alex is getting big! For some reason I keep picturing him as a 4 year old... If we ever make it to your part of the country a trip to the alligator zoo would definently be in order!
Heidi said…
I so love the black bear. Ok but he needs a pool too. Maybe we should take up a collection!! What great pics... yes, we are all interested in laying around this summer. It's what we've waited for all year!
Heidi said…
And as for the Taxes... What letters will go after your name now?
You are so awesome. I keep talking to people complaining about their taxes and I get all smug knowing you are all over it! You are the bomb!!:D
Whitni said…
Thanks everyone! I can't tell you how excited I am to finish those terrible tests!

Sarah, I plan on returning to school to get my MBA when Trevor finally finds a good job. It might take a while, but I'm really determined to do it.

Heidi, I'll now have an "E.A." after my name (for Enrolled Agent) which means I'm a tax expert ;) If I would have stayed with Block, they would have my business cards printed as "E.A., Tax Master" LOL...sounds kind of presumptuous and pretentious to me, though.
Trev and the kids said the black bear was the best...he was so excited when they were feeding the alligators next door, that he was swaying and dancing. Apparently, the giant gator next door only likes the steak and not the fish, so the zoo keeper throws the unwanted fish to the bear. Yummy for him!
Heidi said…
One happy dancin' bear! Hey if you have to live in a zoo... Not that bad!! The pic of him was great. Next time we go we'll see if we can get his name. I know all the animals at our zoo are named and I even know one huge fan who knows them all... It's just fun to go see Sampson and Jolie. Makes it more "your zoo". Did you see any wolves? They had cubs there years ago when we went, was hoping that was still going on.

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Annual Birthday Gift Hunt

Please allow me to introduce you to a (first generation) Wright birthday tradition.  Would you like a little history? When you have only one child, there's a tendency to spoil them, even by accident. I noticed this the first few Christmases after Aisling was born. While looking at our Christmas tree, I couldn't help but notice the "bare" space beneath it--the beautiful tree skirt was almost in full view except for a few brightly wrapped presents. Comparing this view to what we imagine a Christmas tree scene should look like (i.e. LOTS of presents and almost NO view of the tree skirt because of the overflowing amount of gifts-Have you watched any Christmas movies at all?) made me want to run to my nearest shopping center and buy things like a crazy woman on a shopping spree.  Luckily, my good sense and logic won out, and I started looking for other more reasonable and viable alternatives.  Does my child really need to have 20,001 gifts under the tree just so ...

25 Things

Okay...so I've been tagged several times on Facebook and I've been absent from the blogging world for almost a month. I'm really sorry. I'll play now, but I can't guarantee next week or even tomorrow. 1. When I'm feeling down, I hide-out in my home. No blogging, no talking to friends, very few calls to family, little to no socialization (only the most necessary interaction happens. i.e. church callings and/or when a very close friend realizes that I'm on a downward spiral and decides I need to get out of the house at all costs.) 2. While barricaded in my home, I tend to either read a lot of fiction (remember, I'm trying to "get away" from the real world) and/or start-continue-finish medium to big project(s) in an effort to boost my spirits. 3. For the last two to three weeks, I have taken apart the master bathroom, and now I'm attempting to put it back together. What does that entail? Removing the toilet, taking apart all of the cabinet d...

Fortunes

Trevor's: Pathetic! Whitni's: Prodding... Aisling's: Prophetic?