Skip to main content

25 Things

Okay...so I've been tagged several times on Facebook and I've been absent from the blogging world for almost a month. I'm really sorry. I'll play now, but I can't guarantee next week or even tomorrow.

1. When I'm feeling down, I hide-out in my home. No blogging, no talking to friends, very few calls to family, little to no socialization (only the most necessary interaction happens. i.e. church callings and/or when a very close friend realizes that I'm on a downward spiral and decides I need to get out of the house at all costs.)

2. While barricaded in my home, I tend to either read a lot of fiction (remember, I'm trying to "get away" from the real world) and/or start-continue-finish medium to big project(s) in an effort to boost my spirits.

3. For the last two to three weeks, I have taken apart the master bathroom, and now I'm attempting to put it back together. What does that entail? Removing the toilet, taking apart all of the cabinet doors and fixtures, taking down the door, sanding all walls/cabinets/door, bleaching all walls and floors, caulking, tape-paint-remove tape (repeat two or three more times).

4. My mostly finished bathroom now looks clean and crisp, but at nighttime, the color reminds me of a dinner mint gone bad. Sigh.

5. Since I've studied and done income tax returns for the better part of the last 11 years, I've decided to become official and work towards my Enrolled Agent's license. What does that entail? Passing 3 parts (Individual, Business, Representation) of a 12 hour (total) test , passing a background check, and writing to convince the IRS that I'm qualified in all tax matters. When I am accepted and receive my EA license, I will be the equivalent of a CPA and a lawyer in all tax matters.

6. I plan on passing the test by the end of May 2009, and be licensed before the 2010 tax season begins.

7. If you need help with your taxes or plan to take your taxes to someone else to do them, please consider emailing/calling me. I charge 75%-90% less than the branded tax services and accountants, and I understand the tax laws.

8. After I pass my EA test, I intend on taking the GMAT and going back to school to work towards my MBA. I've been studying off and on for the past 4 months. The EA (see #5) and MBA goals are not new. I've been talking about the EA license for over a year, and getting my MBA for over 3 years. Now that I have it somewhat mapped-out, I'm ready to dig in and get it done.

9. Okay, enough of the blue and technical stuff. Our family cat, Note, is one talkative and crazy cat. At first, I thought he was just a regular cat, but as others visited our home and commented, I now understand that he is different. Two of my friends swear he is Stitch's brother (of Lilo and Stitch.) I'll share some of his antics in later posts when I can photograph him in the act.

10. I am the youngest of three kids. I have an older brother and sister.

11. I was adopted from South Korea when I was 6 months old. My mother is a beautiful red-head, and my father has brown hair and green eyes.

12. My sister was also adopted from South Korea when she was 6 months old, but two years before me. We are not blood related, but she was definitely meant to be my sister!

13. I am usually successful at most things I pursue in life, except long-term weight control. Sigh.

14. I haven't given up yet!

15. I have one beautiful, talented, intelligent daughter. I've always wanted more children, but it hasn't happened yet. After years of prayer and contemplation, I am okay with that, although I wouldn't mind more children.

16. In lieu of having more children, I was called to be Primary president almost 2 years ago. Now, I have about 50 children every Sunday for 2 hours : )

17. After Primary on Sundays, I'm so tired that I can't even take a nap or have a coherent conversation on the phone with family.

18. I LOVE an extremely good bargain. No one can fault me for finding awesome food bargains, so I mainly shop grocery store bargains. (i.e. my family will never starve.) Need cheap boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Out of corn, rice, and/or beans? Call me, and I can direct you to the best bargains of the week.

19. I love high-tech bargains too. Have most of you seen my office? I'm sitting at a desk with a laptop and desktop computer, color printer/scanner/copier, color laser printer, and fax machine, as well as other useful things I'm not going to mention. I've collected these through the past 3 years. Except for the desktop, I haven't paid more than $68 (brand new!) for any one item mentioned.

20. I build desktop computers. There's something empowering about it, and it's cheaper and better than buying a prebuilt computer. We have 7 computers in our home, 4 of them running at all times. I built two of them.

21. When someone tells me I can't do something, I really want to prove them wrong. This only relates to good things (mostly.)

22. I home school my wonderful daughter. We are well into our second year now. It leaves me drained, and I worry a lot about her overall education, but we are happier as a whole because of it. She gets to play and see sunlight most of the day, yet she still does more schoolwork and is learning and progressing more than she would in public school. It was a good decision for us.

23. Next week, I'm tearing apart the other bathroom. (Why not? I still have paint leftover!)

24. I lost both of my grandmas this last year. It seems so strange to me. They were both a hugely good influence in my life, and I'm feeling the loss of them now.

25. I don't watch TV regularly, but I love to watch The Bachelor or The Bachelorette (whichever is on.) Why? For the same reason that we watch a train wreck or car crash in progress. Horrible, I know, but fascinating, and even entertaining nonetheless.

So...that's me. Do I sound as crazy as I think I am?

Comments

Whitni you are successful at everything you try. You tottaly impress me with everything you do. Reading this took me back to when you were at BYU, and you were trying your hand at basket weaving. Amazing!! Hope everything is well , and you are out of your slump.

Thanks also for your note about Aurora and her reading. It really made me feel so much better.
Sarah said…
Yes, I remember you as a bargain hunter! Good for you getting more education. Good luck on the bathroom remodel - it's a pain but great when it's done! Post some pics of the before and after, eh?
Aly said…
Whit, you are so clever and wonderful. I wish you lived closer to us here so we could hang more often. I love a good bargain too. I credit Grandma C. I miss her a lot too.
Heidi said…
Really good friend here, come over for dinner tomorrow night!! :D

And Marilyn, she taught me and my boys basketweaving too. She was terrific.

Are your dates right on the tax stuff? You mean to finish by 2009 right? And ready for the 2009 tax season which is Jan 2010 to April 2010? And I think I may call you to come do my taxes. I think it will take a long time and I plan on baking lots of chocolate cake while you are here.
Whitni said…
Oops! See how crazy I am? I'll change the dates, Heidi. Thanks for pointing that out.
Keli said…
i loved reading your 25 things. I didn't know you put together computers. ...you are so full of talents! I hope you are not soo down anymore. I know what it is like. I LOVE a good bargain!!!! post them on the ldslafayette site! Heidi put up a group for that.

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Annual Birthday Gift Hunt

Please allow me to introduce you to a (first generation) Wright birthday tradition.  Would you like a little history? When you have only one child, there's a tendency to spoil them, even by accident. I noticed this the first few Christmases after Aisling was born. While looking at our Christmas tree, I couldn't help but notice the "bare" space beneath it--the beautiful tree skirt was almost in full view except for a few brightly wrapped presents. Comparing this view to what we imagine a Christmas tree scene should look like (i.e. LOTS of presents and almost NO view of the tree skirt because of the overflowing amount of gifts-Have you watched any Christmas movies at all?) made me want to run to my nearest shopping center and buy things like a crazy woman on a shopping spree.  Luckily, my good sense and logic won out, and I started looking for other more reasonable and viable alternatives.  Does my child really need to have 20,001 gifts under the tree just so ...

Fortunes

Trevor's: Pathetic! Whitni's: Prodding... Aisling's: Prophetic?