
Do you ever feel like you live in an area that is always on the verge of a natural disaster 6 months out of the year? I visit the NOAA National Hurricane Center website (NHC) on average three times a day June through November. When there is a hurricane that even looks like it's going to approach the Gulf of Mexico, I visit the NHC every three hours until it has passed.
Growing up in land-locked, mountainous Utah, I was never really introduced to hurricanes until my early 20s (While vacationing in Florida, I experienced hurricane Floyd in 1999. I remember calling the front desk clerk of the hotel and asking him if a category 5 hurricane was something I should be worried about. He laughed really hard, and then asked me where I was from.)
Do you want to learn more about hurricanes? As a homeschooling mom, I'm trying to teach Aisling the science behind hurricanes and hurricane tracking. I found a great website with free lesson plans about hurricanes for elementary-high school students here. There are some hands-on science experiments you can do at home, a video streaming of a hurricane hunter plane that flies into the eye of the storm (Don't you wish you had that job?!), and more. Check it out!
Comments